Read about Part1 here :http://blog.myfatpocket.com/alethea/2017/08/27/planning-your-own-wedding-like-i-did-mine/
Now I’m going delve deeper into the nitty gritty and small details on wedding planning which I hope will benefit everyone once again.
Like I said in my earlier post the first 2 things were to work out your guest list and research on venues that fit in your budget.
Pertaining to the guest list and all the information such as your budgeting and time line, its good to have it on dropbox or googledocuments or some sort of shared drive where you and your fiance can share, and not to mention make copies of things such as your wedding timeline/ time table or give shared access of your timeline document to vendors or your bridal entourage when you require.
I basically kept a folder of all things that caught my eye – things that reminded me on an enchanted garden / woodland forest. While the theme was straight forward on its own, I spent a hell lot of time mulling over the color scheme on whether to have it kept green, white and peach, or have it be more colorful and romantic. ie Green and Burgundy
This was the inspiration for my bridemaids dresses which i settled for in lavender.
And the gowns : oh the gowns. I love zuhair murad gowns so much, as well as Galia Lahav but not their pricetags hahahha.
However madly in love with Zuhair Murad designs I was – I had to be realistic about my budget….you know la – cannot afford hahaha and my figure also meant that I had no boobs to reveal la to be honest.
As my dinner banquet wasn’t individually plated – I had less space to work with for the decorations….so I had to change plans somehow mostly by just leaving it to Regina my florist to decide for me.
On the RSVP and attendance
Have your wedding stationery designer or if you will -try your own hand out at designing an electronic save the date card which you can forward along closer to the date to remind your guests, or have it sent to them before the real invitation.
On that day as well assign 1 or 2 members of the bridal party to help with directions for guests who cannot find their way. Have this person tag to you like a personal assistant thruout the wedding so that he/she can help filter your calls.
Have your wedding invite feature a map and useful directions on getting to the venue, as well as a helpline ie a number to call should they need help on getting there.
Singaporeans are a notorious late bunch so be prepared to start even if just 60% guests are there. It helps to remind your guests that this is a once in a lifetime event and that their punctuality is appreciated- afterall these are close/good friends and family and you can afford to be honest about how punctuality is treasured on your once in a lifetime event.
On the week of your wedding, send your guests an electronic reminder about your wedding [during which you should expect some drop-outs so don’t fret]* remember the tip for Part 1 which was to invite a couple more people than what you’ve catered for since some were going to drop out anyway. There are however some risks involved lol.
I found this to be a useful resource when it came to planning my budget or having an overall idea of the venues prices – https://singaporebrides.com/wedding_banquet_pricelist.php
One thing to note however is the prices are based on basic menu items and prices differ if you chose to opt for the more expensive menu/dishes.
Saving on ROM cost
- yYu could either opt for your ROM to be done at ROM [cheap and fuss free]
- Or you can look for a venue which will provide you a free room to have this done since it was a really quick thing- about 30mins.
- We did this on the same day just before our wedding dinner in the Courtyard of Raffles hotel outside of The Halia at no extra charge. Saving us both time and cost from holding it on a separate date/venue.
About ROM and solemnization etc
It’s a rather straight forward process
Read about it on https://www.rom.gov.sg/reg_info/rom_marriage.asp
It cost just $42 for singaporeans/PRs and can be done online, You’ll need to apply at least 21 days ahead of your marriage date
Step1 To file a notice of marriage you may do so at https://www.rom.gov.sg/
Step2: Go to the Registry of Marriages to Verify Documents and for Statutory Declaration (strictly by appointment only)
Step3: On the day of marriage, proceed to have marriage solemnized by a licensed solemnizer and in the presence of 2 witnesses
-NRICs (for SC/SPR) or Passports (for foreigners) of groom, bride and
2 witnesses above 21 years old
-Solemnizer Consent Form (for solemnization outside ROM) – such as ours.
-Credit card for online filing of notice; or NETs/Cashcard for filing of
notice at e- Kiosks in ROM
Looking for your photographer/videographer and vendors etc
On your wedding shoes
While i know how tempting it is to get something pretty yet uncomfy- pls pls only get a pair of shoes you think you can survive in for a whole day. I know many brides who will kick of their stilettos and go barefoot in fact, I recommend shoes from Melissa https://www.mdreams.com.sg/
you can definitely walk an entire day in it.
If you’re going for normal stilettos please consider a pair with hidden platforms as it helps to relieve the pain. Don’t forget to pack a pair of slippers or bedroom slippers and have a bridesmaid bring it around for you in case you need some moments of relief. Personally I had to walk from my hotel suite pass the courtyard of raffles to get to The Halia – during which i wore bedroom slippers, and only changed into heels before my march-in moment. This was a great idea from my bridesmaid <3
It’s important you have a makeup trial done to ensure you like the skills of your makeup artist and the looks she can create. While it’s tempting to sign up an entire package that often throws in the makeup trial for free- do consider paid makeup trials as well before committing as you don’t want to sign up for something and then regret that the MUA skills wasn’t what you expected.
The makeup artist will probably not be able to settle your make up + your entire entourage and mothers, [unless he/she has a team] – but you’ll want to be picky too on who their assistants are. I’ve attended weddings where the main MUA was really good but their assistants were ….terrible.
I will also recommend my makeup artist friends who have huge amounts of experience in both editorial and professional capacities. Meaning their work is good enough for magazines!
@cccjmiko (Carmen Ong)
@vinvola (Vinna Er)
You don’t want your main bridal makeup artist taking on too much as you want her focus to be on perfecting your look.
Another thing to look out for is to ensure your makeup artist includes all things such as ampoules…false lashes and things like transportation in her quotation to avoid hidden costs or added cost that can ‘surprise’ you.
Tracking your payments
Keep all receipts, invoices and contracts etc consolidated in your drop box or googledrive and the likes for easy reference. Prepare all the balance payments before hand and hand them to a trusted member of your entourage to settle the balances for you with your vendors. You’ll be too busy on the day to do so and you don’t want vendors waiting etc.
On Beauty treatments for that glow
Book your hair appointments and Spa in advance but not too close to your wedding day either incase of facial induced breakouts. Go for something tried and tested too – don’t be too adventurous, at least not on your wedding week! Don’t go trying a new spa or new therapist during your wedding.
For quick fixes visit an aesthetics doctor for things such as a hydrafacial for that added glow, or a spectra peel laser or carbon laser for quick results.
For me I had acne on my back and 6 months prior to my wedding ,my 2 doctors started with multiple sessions of laser and chemical peels to help lighten my scars so that I could wear my gown with confidence on the wedding day. For that I’m forever indebted to Dr Chiam Chiak Teng and Dr Vanessa Phua
– my mom loves Dr Phua too .
The Aesthetics Medical Center
1 Scotts Road #27-00, 228208
Dr Vanessa Phua
+65 6690 4690
501 Orchard Road #05-16 Wheelock Place, 238880
Yep see the acne that I have
This was my back in May
And the subsequent improvements
You can also consider pampering your mother or mother in law with laser treatments too!
Or Spa sessions.
My hubby and I were sponsored massage sessions at Huang Ah Ma – the oriental spa chamber www.huangahma.com/ , a cozy little tcm spa own by the Mary Chia group which helped to relax us a few days before our wedding.Know what the great thing is? They open till 11pm so thats great even if you’re working late you can drop by for a massage still!
Huang Ah Ma – The Oriental Spa Chamber
is located at 50 Mosque Street, Singapore 059528 , +65 6536 1661
Now – the results . This was me on my wedding day – as the tulle was really translucent, I definitely was happy that the skin on my back looked clear on the day.
I think it’s safe to color your hair some 2 weeks prior to your wedding, 1 week can get a little too rushed if you have lots left to do so do that earlier. For me I always choose to go to Chez Vous
– an award winning salon where your hair is handled by Directors only. Each one with minimally 10 years of experience.
I had a caricarture artist to draw portraits for my guests on the day, from my company lolololol – you can hire from me if you like at www.partyparlour.com.sg
or call +65 9828-6006, I also had a jazz wedding band from highnotes
to sing live music for my guests.
I had brought along some rainbow scratchart cards and some crayons to setup a little ‘kids’ corner in case the little ones need something fun to do. This is cheap and easily done. You can also just have some coloring pages ready or a balloon sculptor or magician to entertain the kids and adults.
As I had my solemnization on the same day, we didn’t have time for a couples game segment but you can consider these as it adds to the fun.
I had actually customized papers for the artist but my bridesmaid had forgotten about the papers lolooolol – yes these are among the things that can go wrong and will go wrong on the day.
Out of the many wedding planning list suited for singaporeans , I found singaporebrides has one of the more useful ones https://singaporebrides.com/articles/2016/03/free-wedding-checklist-spreadsheet/
So fun facts: Among the things that could go wrong and went wrong
Don’t worry I really don’t blame anyone hahaha here’s what happened just for sake of recounting the day and well letting other brides to be know that it’s normal for things not to go as planned.
This is perhaps a good enough reason to hire a wedding planner if you can afford it, I wished there were two of me sometimes. LOLOL
- One of my bridesmaids woke up late and arrived at lunch missing the gatecrash , still I am glad she made it!
- Another was a little ill the week of the wedding of which it is no fault of hers
- And yet another left out the customized papers i printed for the caricarture to be done on – again it doesn’t matter.
- My bridesmaid forgot about my ringbox during my solemnization ceremony lololol
- Our groomsman face was stained by makeup during the gatecrash as the guys applied lipstain on his eyes thinking it was eyeshadow? LOL
- We had a v low turnup for the tea ceremony or rather the rsvp for the tea ceremony because my family is chilled like that and his relatives that were coming from Malaysia couldn’t make it in time lol so we skipped it.
- My makeup artist came a little later than expected during dinner *Gasp*
- My mom got lost in the corridoor of Raffles Hotel and then turned to a groomsmen of ours to find her way out hahahah
- My hubby insisted the flower boutonniere was not in the fridge – there goes my money. We found it in the fridge after the wedding -_- . It’s a juliet rose by the way …… so the funny thing was the next day I insisted he put in on his suit so I could take a photo . I loved the lush juliet rose, the seeded eucalyptus and the lovely orchid on it – again credits to florist Regina Mae for her wonderful work.
- Another funny trivia: About 2 months before my wedding , I did a prewed video montage and was bitten all over by sandflies at changi beach – omg that was hell but i survived. It was itchy beyond words -_-
- Oh yes I’ve been to a few weddings where by groom actually forgot to bring the bouquet so to avoid that I kept the bouquet with me hahahahhaha!! Anyway I was the one who paid for the florals ..MEH
- We are not traditional and neither were are parents so we skipped the guo da li.
- And frankly I’ve always been reluctant to get married – but my husband somehow convinced me . On my wedding day I was filled with so much mixed emotions – I think I discounted myself of some of the joy I could have had hahahha erm -_- hard to explain but at least I’m honest right? hahahahha
- So hey – don’t swear the small stuff? Everyone chose to be there for us at our wedding on this special day and contributed in whatever way that can so – be appreciative! And have fun – don’t give yourself headaches like i did hahaha.